General Program Information
The inaugural UC Davis WiReS Conference aims to foster cross-disciplinary dialogues between fire resilient practitioners, social scientists, and leading policymakers, advocates, and industry leaders. In addition to providing training and education, WiReS will enable a national conversation that facilitates knowledge sharing across the large audience of stakeholder groups in attendance.
We are bringing together wildfire mitigation researchers, policy makers, industry leaders, practitioners, tribal representatives, and community members to 1.) identify major roadblocks to improving the wildfire resilience of our buildings, 2.) propose solutions based on state-of-the-art technologies, scientific developments, and best practices, 3.) accelerate the technology transfer from research to practice of advanced wildfire risk mitigation techniques for buildings, and 4.) guide future research, technology advances, and policy development toward best serving our communities against the increasing challenges of wildfires.
Experts on our Technical Program Committee have been working for several months on the outline of the program. We are developing educational sessions addressing a wide range of topics including:
- Land use planning & code development
- Design of new buildings
- Retrofit of existing buildings
- Defensible space development and maintenance
- WUI code and policy development
- Community recovery
- Exposure assessment and mitigation
Review the expanded themes list here
This enriching and educational event will be structured in the following format:
- Tuesday, February 7, 2023: Facilitating trainings and workshops (separate registration will be required)
- Wednesday, February 8, 2023: Conference Program and Tradeshow Day 1
- Thursday, February 9, 2023: Conference Program and Tradeshow Day 2
- Friday, February 10, 2023: Conference Program Final Day (Note the program will conclude by noon PT)
Featuring leaders from federal and state government agencies, academia, NGOs, and the private sector, conference discussions will highlight the emerging challenges and solutions of wildfire resiliency for new and existing structures. This is an event you will not want to miss!
Make sure to sign up for our email list to stay up to date on all conference announcements! We also encourage you to continue checking this website for program updates as well.